Cart 0

Government Wigs and Hairpieces subsidy

The Wigs and Hairpieces Service Payment is a payment to people who suffer from serious hair loss because of a medical condition or from certain cancer therapies. The subsidy varies dependant on the type (temporary or permanent hair loss).

We will help you complete the forms and process the claim on your behalf. All you need to bring is a current medical certificate from your specialist or general practitioner (GP) with your NHI number and details of the hair loss condition and whether it is permanent or temporary.

How much can you claim?
If you are an adult (18 years or over), the amount you are entitled to depends on whether your hair loss is permanent or temporary. If you are under 18, your entitlement is the same whether the hair loss is temporary or permanent.

For adults (with permanent hair loss)
Your entitlement is $2330.67 (GST incl) over a nine-year period. You can claim all of or part of your $2330.67 entitlement at any time over the nine-year entitlement period.

For adults (with temporary hair loss)
Your entitlement is $408.89 (GST incl) over a one-year period.

For children (with temporary or permanent hair loss)
If you are under 18 your entitlement is $1226.67 (GST incl) over a three-year period or until you turn 18, if that happens first. You can claim all or part of your $1226.67 entitlement at any time over the entitlement period.

If you are 18 or over and your growth has been affected by cancer or cancer interventions you may still been entitled to $1226.67 over a three-year period. To apply for this entitlement you need to contact the Ministry of Health and provide supporting medical information.

ase see below and visit the Ministry of Health page to find out more.